Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Long Day

Today started very early. I had to be at John Knox Ranch by 9:00 am for a Camp, Conference, and Retreat Committee meeting. It is 150 miles (this is beginning to sound like a statement problem in math!!!) and it always takes me 3 hours to get there....... maybe 2.75 if I take very quick stops and there is no traffic. To get there in time I had to leave by 6:15 am- which is still totally dark... not even a hint of daylight. Well, for me to be driving out of the driveway by 6:15, I have to wake up at 5:15am.... and that is WAAAAYYYYYY too early. The wonderful part about driving that early in that direction is that it takes me through some beautiful Texas hill country. My drive was east to Hondo, north to Bandera, east to Boerne, north and east to Canyon Lake, and then north again to John Knox Ranch. Take a look at each of the charming little southwest Texas towns. Hondo is on a railroad line that runs from San Antonio to El Paso. Between Uvalde and San Antonio are small towns that are 15-25 miles apart from each other. My understanding is that the distances had to do with how far you could travel by wagon each day. And I know there were more towns, but the ones the railroad went to survived. Many others didn't. Hondo still has its original train depot and is a stop for Amtrak. Bandera is becoming known as the "Branson of Texas". It plays up its cowboy/western heritage with dude ranches and rustic store fronts. It is on the Medina River and some of my early memories include going with my father to Bandera Wool and Mohair when he was a wool buyer. The same building is now an Antique mall. Boerne has embraced its rustic German heritage and is becoming a "place to go" for antiquers and those who enjoy a weekend at a B&B. The townsfolk will describe Boerne as a "bedroom" community since a large number of those who live there commute to San Antonio to work. Canyon Lake is a town I have yet to explore at length. My turn to John Knox Ranch skirts around the north edge of the town of Canyon Lake. The lake itself is the result of Canyon Dam on the Guadalupe River. The town seems to be the result of people wanting to have "lake homes" and is spread across several hills in the area. I hope to spend more time discovering this community in the future. And then there is John Knox Ranch...my attachment to JKR goes waaaayyyyyy back. I was a camper at JKR in the 2nd year it was open for camping. (1965) It is in a cedar rich hill country setting. The camp itself sits on only a small portion of a ranch bought by Mission Presbytery in 1962. The total ranch acreage is now 300 acres. The committee I serve on works to be good stewards of the assets this camp/retreat center has to offer. Summer camps are typical church camps as well as day camps for local children. We also have bereavement camps for kids, environmental camp for school districts, adventure camps at the coast and backpack camps to the mountains, private requests by both church and non-church related groups, high and low ropes courses with staff to assist, the list goes on and on. But one of the most unique things about JKR is that it is still a bit "primitive", "rustic", "natural", and yet it can be very accomodating for those who don't want to rough-it. I have one more year on this rotation. At that time I will have served the Presbytery on this committee for 10 years. Every minute has been worth it........ but give me my recliner once I'm home!!!

3 comments:

Donna said...

What I wouldn't give to have a day to make that drive by myself. Trent had a rough day-was angry at everything all day long. The only thing I know to do is to be silent. Makes for a long day of staying out of the way. Miss ya! dp

Anonymous said...

We have a Texas Hill Country ranch for sale between Canyon Lake & Wimberley...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230292780615&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=013

Mary

Emily and Henry Owen said...

Hi Laura and Ray...This blogging thing is a fun way to keep up with people. I just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ray. I hope you've had a wonderful day. Laura, I hope you can see the house some day in person, too. This isn't the Texas Hill Country, but it is beautiful here. You are welcome anytime! Peace, Emily