Monday, July 28, 2008

July Weekends- weekend 2

We have had an outstanding July- three of the four weekends we have been on adventures. The first weekend I have already posted about- the VHPA reunion. The second weekend came about spur-of-the-moment when on Thursday bro Walt called to see if we wanted to join them on a kayak trip down a section of the San Marcos River. Our response was a resounding YES and we were off. It just so happened to coincide with the girls' get-away (Char and Amy) to Austin and worked out to be a good time for Charla to return to Uvalde for a little visit time.

We arrived in Austin Friday evening just in time to join Walt and Carey at their church to watch Amazing Grace the movie. It is a great movie. Highly recommended by ME. It is the story of William Wilburforce, a member of the House of Commons who was instrumental in abolishing the slave trade in England after being influenced by John Weston, the writer of the original lyrics to Amazing Grace.

Saturday we had a great float on the San Marcos. It was about 1 hour longer than my body thought we should be there, but I wouldn't pass it up if it were offered again. On this trip we made 4 decisions:
1. My kayak is too short and high and wide- sell it.

2. My flotation vest is too big- sell it.

3. Ray's kayak seat needs more support for his back- sell it.

4. Ray wants a curved kayak paddle, his is straight- sell it.

Anyone want to buy????? I think I am going to try the San Antonio Craigslist...... anyone with suggestions???

Here are pictures of Ray taming my kayak.







Saturday night was a great grilled dinner. Needless to say, everyone was so tired we slept very well.

Sunday, after some coordinating with Charla and Amy, we were able to meet in Round Rock at the Hearthstone Rehab Center and visit with Aunt June. She is looking great and making very good progress in regaining her strength.





1 comment:

Dawn Jenkins said...

Laura- I love the look of your blog- you have a very talented daughter. I enjoyed reading your blog and Kade is oohing at the pics of Plata. I am hoping we can spend some time in Uvalde this Christmas break when we are down that way. Take care!