Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring Break recap

What a great week it has been...... once I accepted our fate of not having any of "the kids" at home. As usual I haven't finished nearly enough of my list of "to do", but the things that have happened have made a great impact on my psyche. I'm not exactly ready to go back to school on Monday, but I am ready to push toward the end of school and having my students prepared for their next steps.



The best part of the week has been choosing my own schedule each day. Most days I had at least one "appointment" I had to meet- Monday teeth cleaning, Tuesday dogs bathed and clipped, Wednesday church bake sale, Thursday Maundy Thursday services, Friday Grandma to San Antonio for dental implant, you get the idea. But the rest of each day was mine to do with as I wished.



Ray and I put in a new flower garden outside the front door. While I was in San Antonio I went to an incredible garden center and looked specifically for Texas perennials- many are native plants that have been domesticated for gardening or zeriscaping.

The varieties we put in include Yellow Wallflower, Cigar Plant cuphea, Mexican Heather cuphea, Harlequin Blue Pincushion flower, and Scaevola. Others that have been successful in this area of the yard in the past are bougainvillae, Mexican petunia, and shamrock. We are trying lavender and Amazon Lotus for the first time. I really like the large rocks between the plants. We had to do that so the animals wouldn't try to dig and nest here.


Spring break also brought baths and clips for the dogs. Here are their pictures.



Plata in front of the bougainvillae.









Plata sticking her tongue out at me...... she was tired of me trying to make her sit still to take pictures.









Mayday........ just being "cool".











The sun is shining. It is definitely spring in south Texas. I'm going outside for a tan.
Check out the new Celine Dion sunglasses- I sure hope BIG is in for a while. I luv 'em.

4 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Gosh Mom, I LOVE the rock garden. It looks great and has inspired me for our backyard. The dogs look great, the yard grass looks great, too. It makes me miss home even more. Thanks for posting ALL of the pictures...I love them! Oh, and very cool glasses. Did you call them Celine Dion glasses because they are her label? Either way, very stylish! Way to go!

R A and L D said...

They are her label. Carried by the optician at Wally World. I broke my 15+ year old ones and thought I couldn't get them fixed. So I took my RX to WM and they were ready in about a week. In the mean time I found a jewelry repair man that soldered my old ones back together. They will be my backup pair. I'm all set for days in the sun!!

Donna said...

Well, we have had nice weather but I just don't trust the Panhandle weather until mid to late April. I've posted on the blog and am still looking for a flight in late June! dp

Donna said...

Well, it's been warm here and I'd love to plant but I don't trust the weather until mid to late April. I've posted again on my blog. I'm still looking for a flight to SA in late June!