Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Happy 30th



Yesterday was our 30th wedding anniversary- the day before was Grandma's 56th- amazing. I'm not sure that when you say "I Do" you really realize that means you will be looking at each other 30 years later over a glass of wine, eating dinner off fine bone china, eating a scrumptous meal with Don Williams softly crooning in the background, at your own kitchen table. Very quietly celebrating. In the home we have worked to create over the past 24 years. And celebrate we did. (We were both very slow to get out of bed thanks to a wonderful bottle of French wine the Hoelschers gave us.) Just the fact that we can still sit down at the same table with each other seems to be no small feat. I was encouraged this past spring to hear a report that the divorce rate is down for the first time in XXX years. That is encouraging as long as the "murder the spouse" rate isn't up and the reason the divorce rate is down ;o)
And let me tell you about dinner. After shrimp cocktail, dinner was baked pork chops over long grain and wild rice, sauted mushrooms, snow peas, and steamed asparagus. Dessert was vanilla ice cream with amaretto. YUMMMMMM- and about the pork chops.....They were accidentally the best I think I have ever had. The recipe was a lucky concoction- here it is:

Accidentally the Best Baked Pork Chops

flour
spices
olive oil
Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice
Chicken Broth
4 center cut lean pork chops- 3/4-1 inch thick
Flaked parmesean cheese

In a casserole large enough to hold the pork chops without layering them, pour the contents of the rice box into the bottom of the casserole, including the spice packets. Add chicken broth in the amount recommended on the package instead of water. Spice the pork chops with favorite spices (salt and pepper were all I used). Dredge in flour until all sides are coated. Brown both sides in a skillet with olive oil. Lay the browned pork chops on top of the rice and broth. Cover (I used a 9X13 pyrex dish and covered with foil- sealed tightly). Cook 425 for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and check to see if the broth has been absorbed. If not, uncover and let it sit in hot oven until it is. I left mine in the oven while we were having appetizers- maybe 20 minutes.
The meat was flaking off of the bone- the most tender I have ever had. It was great.

What a wonderful evening it was. And what made it even more wonderful was hearing from those who love us. Thank you.

3 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Aww...the table looked beautiful from what I could see. I'm so glad you guys could celebrate together last night! Now off for our vacation that has nothing to do with your anniversary (go ahead and giggle mom, I couldn't resist)! Love you both!

Amy said...

YUM! I am definitely going to make those pork chops, but I'll have to wait until Will is gone - the crazy man doesn't like pork chops!!! However, I bet he'd like these as they sound delicious!

We've already been thinking about meals to make when y'all are up here in August...I think we'll be making some runs to COSTCO and to the farmer's market! We CAN'T WAIT!

Donna said...

Loved reading about your celebration. It made me cry though. I don't have anniversaries, birthdays, or special events. We just have nows, no tomorrows, no yesterdays. Sometimes we have long agos though with a few details. Glad you are able to keep yours alive. Have a toast for us. love ya, dp